Director of Marketing
Center for Religious Humanism
February 13, 2019
Image is hiring a director of marketing to strengthen our public stature as an institution committed to exploring the interplay of contemporary art, faith, and mystery. This is a full-time position located in our Seattle office.
Image was founded in 1989 to demonstrate the vitality and breadth of contemporary art and literature that engage with the religious traditions of Western culture. Now one of the leading literary journals published in English, Image forms the nexus of a warm and active community. With the journal as our cornerstone, the organization has expanded to include a growing number of other programs that support our mission, including a podcast, national literary prizes, literary fellowships, and an annual artists’ workshop. In 2018 Image named a new editor in chief and recruited a talented team of section editors whose vast expertise and varied stylistic approaches are already deepening and diversifying Image’s editorial reach. For us, this is a season of profound and exhilarating growth.
In this season of growth, we seek a director of marketing who will be primarily responsible for strengthening and broadening Image’s reputation as a cultural institution. Success will be measured by an increase in journal subscriptions and renewal rates, newsstand sales, site visits, active paywall users, blog readers, podcast listeners, social media engagement, program and event attendees, press coverage, and earned and charitable income, including ad revenue. The director of marketing will be responsible for ongoing assessment and refinements to Image's communications and marketing strategy.
The director of marketing will work with the executive director and in consultation with the director of programs, executive editor, and administrative manager. He or she will report directly to the Executive Director.
This is a full-time position located in our Seattle office and includes health benefits through Kaiser Permanente and Delta Dental. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Familiarity with and a passion for the intersection of art, faith, and culture
- Vision for and experience in implementing a successful marketing and communications strategy, particularly in a nonprofit setting
- Ability to manage a range of diverse tasks and deadlines
- Willingness to collaborate on creative projects
- Knowledge of digital marketing tools and strategies, including SEO
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A successful candidate will have significant experience in:
- Social media marketing
- Interacting with senior executive leadership
- Working with vendors and social media consultants to build a fulsome marketing program
- Writing and directing design for online and paper-based marketing materials
- Create an annual marketing and communications strategy that will utilize all appropriate tools to enhance the profile of Image in the US, Canada, the UK, and beyond
- Establish and maintain brand and communication standards across the organization
- Support all programs and events with fully integrated cross-platform marketing in order to achieve growth objectives
- Create and manage strategy for increased journal subscriptions, including, but not limited to: email communications, website offers, gift subscription drives, social media content, in-person events, print and digital ads, and direct mail
- Work with our fulfillment company on the execution and analysis of circulation marketing efforts, including efforts to secure new subscribers and raise renewal rates
- Work with the executive editor to increase the journal’s newsstand presence, ad revenue, and back-issue sales
- Oversee the transition to a new website that will better connect our community to Image’s content and programs
- Establish analytics to measure the website's effectiveness
- In coordination with contract workers and interns, create and manage fresh content, including, but not limited to: event features, journal issues, blog posts, artist of the month, and seasonal features
- Employ all relevant social media to raise awareness of Image—its vision, mission, and programs—among both current and new audiences
- With the help of a student intern, keep platforms stocked with daily posts; respond to users; engage with users posting related content
- Track and analyze social media impressions, reach, and engagement metrics
E-Newsletter and Email Marketing
- With the help of the executive editor, plan and execute a compelling weekly ImageUpdate e-newsletter that connects readers to Image content and selected outside media
- Manage our email marketing list through MailChimp
- In conjunction with the Program Director, create and distribute email blasts related to Image’s programs and events
- Manage all advertising of Image for both in-house and external platforms and publications.
- Oversee outside ad sales in the print journal, website, and Image
- In collaboration with the executive director, design, implement, and promote a biannual print and digital appeal
- In collaboration with the executive director, create a monthly digest for our donors, curating the best Image content and news relevant to our mission
- Explore and launch new sources of income, including Patreon and crowdfunding
To apply, click below (or email to firstname.lastname@example.org) and submit PDF versions of the following:
- A cover letter describing why you believe you would be the appropriate candidate for the position defined above
- Your resume