We are pleased to present an Image Intensive workshop with Philip Metres!
Poems of Wonder and the Work of the Spirit
Generative Poetry with Philip Metres
A four-week craft workshop on poetry
August 29-September 21
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 8 PM Eastern
We are pleased to announce another Image Intensive, an opportunity to dive deeper into your craft, guided by faculty from our community who understand the unique impulses and challenges facing artists at the intersection of art and faith.
This generative workshop is for poets of all levels and of all questing/questioning faiths (or no faith) who wish to explore, through poetry, awakening to wonder and the work of the spirit. Every week, we will read poems gathered around a theme—prayer, visions of paradise, ecstasy, suffering and healing, and peace and justice—and then generate, share, and provide conversation and helpful critique on each other’s poems. We hope to create, in some small way, a poetic version of the beloved community.
This workshop will include:
- Generative writing exercises and prompts (and ideas for getting into the flow)
- Vigorous, exploratory conversation about what makes for vibrant poetry of the spirit (with examples both ancient and modern, from diverse traditions and languages)
- Critiques of (i.e. global and specific commentary on) four poems per participant
In a small group setting capped at 12 students, participants will experience:
- Two Zoom sessions each week for four weeks
- Opportunities to read poetry centered around specific themes each week
- Generative writing opportunities, calling for poetic responses to given prompts that will then be shared with your cohort
- Individual review (four poems per participant) will be reviewed in-depth by Philip Metres
This workshop is for poets of all levels who wish to explore the wonder, doubt, darkness, and beauty that shape us. If you are yearning for a compassionate writing community, seeking to learn more about yourself, hoping for a thorough review of your work, or wishing for a supportive place to grow in your craft, this workshop is for you.
This four-week seminar will be held on Zoom on Tuesdays and Thursdays from August 29-September 21.
About the Instructor
About Philip Metres
Philip Metres is a poet, scholar, translator, essayist, and peacebuilder. He is the author of twelve books, including Fugitive/Refuge (
About the Image Intensives
The Image Intensive series is aimed at fostering the growth of artists working at the intersection of art and faith. The Image Intensives offer an opportunity to dive deeper into your craft, guided by faculty from our community who understand the unique impulses and challenges facing artists at the intersection of art and faith.